Filing a Complaint


 We accept complaints from any source and in any form--including anonymous complaints.  
If you would like to make a complaint, there are several ways to get started:
Online:  Submit your complaint via the website.
Email:  Send your concern via email (PDF) to Chief Nesky.  Please include as much detail as you can recall to include the date, time, names of officers or employees, and any other relevant facts.  

Telephone:  Our number is 301-654-7300.  Ask for the Chief or a supervisor.  If neither are available, you may leave a voicemail for the Chief and he will return your call typically by the end of the following business day.  

By mail:  Complete and print a form to send your concern to: 

Chief John K. Nesky
Chevy Chase Village Police Department
5906 Connecticut Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815

In person:  We are located at 5906 Connecticut Avenue in Chevy Chase, Maryland.  At the front counter, simply ask for the Chief of Police or a supervisor, and we will sit down with you and listen to your concerns.  If neither the Chief nor a supervisor is available, any Police Department employee will document your concern and will forward it to the Chief.

  • We will acknowledge receiving your complaint within 72 hours and you will be provided with a point of contact within the department. 
  • The complaint will be investigated by an experienced police supervisor who will contact you (and any other witnesses) and meet with you at a place and time convenient to you; you do not have to come to the police station. 
  • The investigator will provide a status update to you at least monthly during the investigation.
  • You may contact our victim advocate, Ms. Regina Cortez ( for an update of your case, or you may check the status of your case by clicking the below link and looking up your assigned case number.  The link is:

  • Once all the facts are in, the investigative file will be sent to the county’s Administrative Charging Committee (ACC).  Within 30 days of receiving the file, the ACC will determine whether or not the officer should be disciplined, and they will establish what discipline will be given.
  • The ACC will send their decision to the Chief, and the Chief will present the ACC’s decision to the officer.  
  • The Chief will send a letter to you informing you of the outcome.  If an employee was disciplined, the letter will also include the type of discipline given.